![]() |
| My great-grandmothers quilt- Blakcsburg, VA- February 23, 2011 |
Standing in my great-grand mothers flower garden
I cross the generations with one gentle step.
The ebb and flow of faith. I catch the wave of faith with just enough momentum to overcome a feeling of dread. It took nearly all day to talk myself down from the edge. Mindful breathing while walking the dog. More mindful breathing while walking through the grocery store. At 5AM they arrived- yes 5 AM. It is not them I dread but the accompanying reminders and memories. But as always once I am submerged in the pool the fear subsides (or goes it just go deeper?). But I digress they came with a a gift. This gift holds more power than I am able to hold. I set my gift on the floor with the greatest of care. The gift of a quilt from my 100 year old grandmother- the gift of a quilt made by her mother. I am in heaven.

Incredible...don´t you just love the feel of it knowing that your g.grandma laid her hands on this......amazing indeed. I have lace, doilies and a table cloth made by my g.g. grandma. These are things to truly treasure.
ReplyDeleteIt's a very transporting experience, isn't it. The threads of our ancestors' things do connect us, weaving the past to today. What a story that quilt must hold, and now you're a part of it too.
ReplyDeleteIt must be amazing to receive something that beautiful and that old, knowing that it was made by one of your own ancestors. What an incredible experience and what incredible feelings you must feel each time you look at it.
ReplyDeleteI have a quilt that was completely handstitched by my grandmother. It's beautiful and I think of her everytime I see it. It's definitely a treasure.
ReplyDeleteI have an idea what you may be going through. Don't forget to breathe. And, if all else fails, go into the bathroom and scream into a towel.
Hugs!
Carolynn
Sometimes, things can be painful and the best we can do is hold on to our faith. I've been there at times. That is when He will carry us through, just like the Footprints poem.
ReplyDeleteThe quilt is beautiful. I'm sure it gives you a sense of security, along with wonderful memories. My grandma made all of us grandkids a quilt over the years. After reading this, I think I may just go pull it out of the keepsake bin I have it in.
Take care and just remember, tomorrow is a new day.
Cynnie- What treasures indeed! I hope you are doing well- xo
ReplyDeleteJoanne-"Transported"- what a great word. It was like a magic carpet- as I stood there. Then I took a nap under it later- incredible!
ReplyDeleteGeorge- When I stood gently standing upon this quilt I was taken to another place.
ReplyDeleteCarolynn-This quilt gave me permission to breathe- thank you for your kind words.
ReplyDeleteCM-I have a copy of the Footprints poem right next to me. I do hope you bring your treasure out to the light of day.
ReplyDeleteMemories. Hold close the ones that bring you joy and release the ones that don't. The quilt is a beautiful reminder.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful and precious gift... and the memories are even more precious. I know you will treasure both.
ReplyDeleteYour words are amazing, Teri.
ReplyDelete