![]() |
Dulles Airport, Washington DC -Jan29. 2011 Black and White (and shades of gray)A contribution for the art challenge blog The Three Muses As most of you know I am away from home and the internet has been a bit of a challenge for me. I thank the The Three Muses for their sneak peak into this weeks theme. It allowed me to play where I am most comfortable. With two feet on the ground- and without skies! I am in Verbier, Switzerland- with my husband and a crew of exceptional skiers. I could be an exceptional skier except for one teeny tiny detail- I have a desperate inability to deal with moving at high speeds on an incline of greater than about 10 degrees. Anyway I have made peace with this ( as has my husband.) My sweet husband did take me out on Wednesday and I had a wonderful morning on a very easy trail. I only met up with one slope that indeed informed me that I still had a mental aversion to steep slopes. I side stepped down with my husband standing guard above me so no one would run me over. Bravery comes in all sizes- I observed myself this week dealing with what challenges me. Just what degree of incline slows me to a crawl? Ski slopes and large groups of people... I broke down black and white ... And truthfully I was immersed in gray emotions of defeat on and off. But today balance has returned and so has glorious color. Ironically my last post is a photo of the very place I sit now- I did not know the first day it was an internet cafe!! I have taken away so much from this week! Tomorrow I am off to the country of Cyprus. Oeuvre from Switzerland- |
Image Collection of Teri H Hoover
Saturday, February 5, 2011
A Black and White Contribution
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Let's see ...
Thanks for being here.





A wonderful black & white picture, Teri - quite dramatic. I hope you enjoy Cyprus and the lack of snow and slopes!
ReplyDeleteTeri, you can't fool me with your words. You are one of the bravest people I know!
ReplyDeleteLove ya, ajc
I am glad you were able to share glimpses of your trip. Between your first post and this one you learned a few things about Switzerland and yourself. Funny, just a week ago I was again explaining to my son why I don't ski, downhill or cross country. There are really so many reasons! I am considering trying snow-shoeing, where I can stay flat, follow my tracks back to where I started, and get back on my feet by myself when I fall down. Isn't life great? Enjoy Cyprus!
ReplyDeleteI think it's good that you know your limits on the slopes, and respect them. The pleasure comes from working within them, and enjoying that journey. It seems, on skis, as though it's more peaceful that way.
ReplyDeleteI like your picture taken at the airport. I also like your pictures taken on the ski slope. It looks as if you were in a beautiful location. You shouldn't have to worry about steep ski slopes in Cyprus.
ReplyDeleteAgain a big group hug sent to all- It is another week before I am home again. I look forward to replying properly once I am home. Thanks to everyone for checking in! xo
ReplyDeleteTeri I think you are incredibly brave...I have skied only a handful of times in my life and each one a slight disaster...and I live in NH (though I didn't grow up here) ...so EVERYOBODY skiis...not me, I'm with you...even when I was healthy enough to ski, flying down a mountain is just plain scary!!! I love your photos. Have a wonderful, wonderful time as you continue on your travels:)
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I 'did' skiing and found that it wasn't for me. Mostly for the same reasons you cite here, speed & incline. Add cold into the mix and I'm pretty much done. I gave it an honest try though, took lessons and the whole bit. In the end, I acknowledged that it's not my sport and spent my energies elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy Cyprus!! So excited for you. And a wee bit envious.
almost time to head to the big burg!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos and I hope you are having a great time! I am scared of those kind of heights but my son loved visiting and skiing in Switzerland a few years ago.
ReplyDelete