Charleston, SC, Nov 10, 2012 Betsy and Jim's wedding
I have been away. Let's be definitive, my last post was exactly one month ago-maybe. I am not quite clear what day it is. It could be December 13 or it could be the 14th. I have gone beyond all bounds; around the bend and over the edge. There have been moments this past month of complete joy and utter fragility. Honestly, I think November felt like spring, too much coming forth and bursting out. The coming and going. The impending leaving of everyone.
That emptiness of Thanksgiving leftovers; I am left feeling hung over. Maybe I should drink more alcohol. I have exactly one photo of my whole family together this year- and this is it. I am blessed. Thank you person who was walking by, thank you cell phone for having a camera.
Lane Stadium, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA- Go Hokies! Nov 24, 2012
As a self described homebody, someone who craves all things still, this last quarter of the year has severely tested my need to be still. The list makes my head hurt to even consider.
Singapore, Dec 13, 2012
cell phone photo
This is my husbands list, I left mine home.
As I sit in a hotel room in Singapore, with intermittent internet connection, I cannot fathom how I got here. Besides the one hour drive to the airport, the 2 hour flight from Roanoke to Atlanta, the 14 hour flight from Atlanta to Norita, Japan and the 7 hour flight from Japan to Singapore. Oh and the layovers, I forgot the layovers. This is my husbands life on a regular basis. The world slips away and he moves forward in grace, with one planned footstep after another. I have come to be with him. My first solo international flight. As always he figured out the logistics and made the arrangements. I found a way through all my photo client work and fear of travel. I made it here, albeit a day late. (A long story of airline imagining fog and flight cancellations.)
My husband had one more day of work. So I strolled the grounds today, alone.
old bench Singapore, Dec 13 2012-
cell phone photo
Small Stone
This time by Teri H Hoover
Blown down in last nights rain, tiny white blossoms have faded into the color of old paper, reminding me of the origami cranes I saw yesterday.
Singapore, Dec 13, 2012
In the distance you can see the barges and ships so indicative of the worlds busiest port.
From Wikipedia- Singapore-An island country made up of 63 islands, it is separated from Malaysia by the Straits of Johor to its north and from Indonesia's Riau Islands by the Singapore Strait to its south. Singapore (新加坡) is a city-state in Southeast Asia.
Founded as a British trading colony in 1819, since independence it has
become one of the world's most prosperous countries and boasts the
world's busiest port.
Combining the skyscrapers and subways of a modern, affluent city with a
medley of Chinese, Malay and Indian influences and a tropical climate,
with tasty food, good shopping and a vibrant night-life scene, this
Garden City makes a great stopover or springboard into the region.The country is highly urbanised with very little primary rainforest remaining, although more land is being created for development through land reclamation. Singapore is the world's fourth leading financial centre, and its port is one of the five busiest ports in the world.
The economy depends heavily on exports and refining imported goods,
especially in manufacturing, which constituted 26% of Singapore's GDP in
2005.In the distance you can see the barges and ships so indicative of the worlds busiest port.






So glad you're back! I've missed you! And so glad that unknown wonderful person walking by took your family's picture - beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteoh heavens what a flight plan...makes me exhausted just reading it.....glad you made it there in one piece. Enjoy yourself on your time away...........take care,,,,
ReplyDeleteLove the fragility of the delicate blossoms...know what you mean about needing to be still. Enjoy your travels, Teri!
ReplyDeleteOh Teri, you are on the adventure of a lifetime! My older son has been travelling extensively in Southeast Asia in the last year for his job. The people he's met, the places he's seen, the food he's eaten ~ wonderful. Stay present, breathe deeply, and relish every experience. Sending a big hug across the miles to you ~
ReplyDeleteI hear tell that frogs are lucky in the Asian culture. Remember to find a little friend to take home to remind you of where you have been when you allow yourself to be still.
ReplyDeleteTravel safely!
I think I read some where that Singapore also participates in www.Bookcrossing.com so you might see some 'wild' books set free - pick it up if you find one and journal it - you can do so anonymously. Enjoy the read and then set it free again!
Wow - for a woman who likes home, you are sure moving around the globe, Teri. Glad you're now back to enjoy the holidays. Sounds like you're busy with photography. Will you do January's Small Stones? I haven't decided. I'm on one of my "blog breaks!" (And enjoying it.) It's snowing today in Breckenridge - slow small flakes - we desperately need it.
ReplyDeleteHi world travelers and now fearless traveler,
ReplyDeleteSay hi to Mr. Hoover for me. Keep having tons of fun and seeing neat things to photograph.
Anne
May you finally experience some of the stillness you desire back at home dear Teri.
ReplyDeletewishing you a very happy New Year Teri!
ReplyDelete