host
and banditry by Teri H Hoover
A changing sky of bright white clouds,
emerging into a snowbound contentment
`
observing
`
`
observing
`
A cheerful insurrection of chickadees
and sparrows,
painted into the passive leaves of
winter.
`
photography by Dan Habermehl- Jan 2012
Process notes- Thanks to my brother Dan who takes
wonderful photos. He posted this one on his Facebook page on Sunday.
It seems we both immediately saw a collection of birds among the
dried leaves. It took a bit of untangling the image into words. And
then came time for a title. I was aware that there were many
collective nouns for groupings of birds... but not THIS
many!! A shout out to Red and The Peanut - a great birding blog I just found. I learn so much in the time I pause to write.

An "insurrection" amid those "passive" leaves makes a great contrast. I like the winter-white cloud backdrop, too.
ReplyDeleteI see birds too! It looks like your brother has "the eye" too!
ReplyDeleteWonderful photography must run in the family. Yes, I too see the 'insurrection' of birds among the leaves.
ReplyDeleteNature's artwork in a stunning presentation. This is really beautiful ~
ReplyDeleteLovely image
ReplyDeleteHi, Teri! I like to look up at the sky and enjoy both expected and unexpected surprises. To me, the dancing dead leaves look like birds with the luminous backdrop. Perfectly lovely!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite has always been a "murder of crows"!
ReplyDeleteTeri, I am so happy to have found your blog! It is wonderful! I especially like your brother's photo here and what you did with the words. Winter and bird theatre... two of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the great comments...this was a fun image to bring words to.
ReplyDelete