Thursday, April 21, 2011

Reclamation and Fresh Air



Her Room-Blacksburg, VA-April 20, 2011 



Fresh air dispelling winter stillness -
Dare to open the shutters on your heart.
Lay down your old life at the Cross.
A new life awaits. 



I have a witty sister who is into the challenge. About a month ago she wanted to have a reclaim your art area "throw down".  I have been pouting ever since-because she did it and I did not. Brightly she has  continued to challenged me to re-do mine.

I have a friend who is a breath of fresh air. She goes beyond thinking about creativity and IS creativity! Her creativity has room to breathe- she lives her creativity. What's more she shares her abundance with a smile and she is FUN. 
`
So because of her and my sister every bit of my creative studio on the floor. No they did not suggest I rearrange my space so dramatically. But when my friend said, "I have an idea for that project you want to do." (I will share what that project is late in June) it pushed me over the edge.

My pondering about this space and why I don't create there has been on my mind for over a year. I sew but do not draw or do collage there. I would like to get back into these two things.  Why don't I use my desk to create? 

Then it came to me in a flash - well, more like a  dribble. I was doing the bills (yuck!!) at the kitchen table on Monday. It has a nice view of my bird feeder and my lilacs-mmmm they smell so good right now! Later that evening I reflected how doing the bills was not so bad with that nice view. AND then the FLASH/dribble hit me. Your studio window upstairs faces that way. Then the mean half of my brain said-"well your desk is too tall and will block most of the windows."   And the fun side of my brain said with a laugh-"You hate that desk.Why do you need a desk anyway?" I was startled and thought I really love sitting on the floor to do collage and photo work. And drawing is much easier when the drawing pad is angled and resting against my knees when I sit on the ground. I am blessed to be still fairly flexible, (yeah for yoga) so I smiled and knew I was onto something. I let the idea stew for a day - stewing, simmering and  staring blankly is all good when it comes to bringing an idea to culmination.  On Wednesday after talking with my friend - I moved the contents of the desk to the floor and moved the desk out.(smile)  a DUMP the desk and reclaim your creative life throw down -It will be a while before the project is done -but I am on my way. It feels good to let the fresh air in.
New life blessings to you-xo teri

And  a little surprise for those of you who read this whole darn post-- here is a video of the art space at the beginning of it's transformation- 
click to the next page-









`










I submit

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with the way you think. I don't care if this idea was a flash or dribble, it sounds pretty neat. I hope you'll make a video of the final transformation of your work area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you've done with your space! The colors and the light beg for creative things to happen. I love rooms with lots of corners and nooks-and-crannies. Yes, please show us the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George- This is the first time in a long time I have rearranged a room so extensively! As soon as it is done I will post a finished video! By the way I will wave to you as I drive by today(Saturday the 23rd)! On my way to see my son in Nashville- so exited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon- This space is a magical space... I have used it to sew in. And that is good. But I am called to use it to create -draw, collage, play-- I am so hoping this will happen. We will see if that is where this heads. And yes I will post the finished video next weekend after I return from visiting my son. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I enjoy and welcome your comments. On most occasions I will reply here. But if you would rather connect via email, just let me know.

Let's see ...



T
hanks for being here.