Staying true to my New Years un- resolution I have explored my focus word for 2012 - in fact I have learned that my word," pause", is best used before I try to get out of doing something. Yup, that is my nature - I would sleep all day, curled up in a comfy chair like my black lab, Pepper.
But instead of doing nothing- I pause, and gather myself to be brave and go out there. Walking, quilting, visiting, and creating. On the creating end of things I have been working on my quilt. Tomorrow I may finally get the back put on!
On the photography front I have begun to explore the use of "layers" in photoshop. So below you will see photos from my weekend photo spree while visiting a friends farm. This farm happened to have the original home still sitting, untouched down by the stream. The little house had been the home for a family of 6 from the 1930's until 1970.
On the photography front I have begun to explore the use of "layers" in photoshop. So below you will see photos from my weekend photo spree while visiting a friends farm. This farm happened to have the original home still sitting, untouched down by the stream. The little house had been the home for a family of 6 from the 1930's until 1970.
The first shot here in the abandon house - after rearranging the furniture- and opening the front door for some nice light is below. The following shot is my first attempt at layering - all layers for the photos done on this post were found on this site inadesigncreations. I am really quite please with both photos. I like the clarity of the original and the surreal look of the second.
The Farm, Catawba, VA- Jan 28, 2012 (without layers)
The Farm, Catawba, VA- Jan 28, 2012
I then went on to use this image as a writing prompt-
I love to uses images as prompts!
Here is a second set of photos taken the same day. I love the starkness of the original but am quite pleased with the layered ones as well.
The Farm, Catawba, VA- Jan 28, 2012 (without layers)
The Farm, Catawba, VA- Jan 28, 2012
The Farm, Catawba, VA- Jan 28, 2012
So have what creative things have you done this week? Maybe you made a card for someones birthday, or rearranged the furniture in your house, or maybe you stuck some stickers on your kids lunch bag, or drew a smiley face on the mirror to surprise a love one. Go ahead, be a little creative crazy!
FYI:
It should be noted here that I am NOT a photography purist. Even back in art school in 1978, when I was shooting film and processing it in a dark room. I was chided by my photography teacher for cropping my images. And failed his class. I contended that the size of the film and camera were arbitrary man made devices and as such had no bearing on whether I should crop or not crop my photos. That belief extends to the use of photoshop and photo editing tools. I have no problem refining an image just a touch or creating something new. Nearly all my photos are post processed in photoshop 3 - and now that I am FINALLY learning how to layer images ... who knows where I will go!





Thanks for sharing, love the layering and your wonderful feel through your explanations and stories......
ReplyDeleteMelissa- thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteTeri, always willing to try something new, that is a special quality that I wish I had. I like the photos in each step of the process. What a great house with stories to tell.
ReplyDeletewhoa hoooo teri...I am really loving your experiments with the layers. The original image of the fireplace with the window reflecting off the wall....well makes me want to whip our the watercolors even as I type but then you made it your own and added the layers and it looks like you painted it for me:) You go girl...this stuff looks great!
ReplyDeleteSharon- For me it is easy to be brave and try new things with images. And I guess I have always made myself try one new thing every few months. I know you have tried LOTS of new things these last few years. Sending creative blessings.xo
ReplyDeleteCynnie- Thanks for stopping by- and for being my persona cheerleader. I like the simplicity of the original as well. Its starkness is a bit more real - the others seem to have an added layer (bad pun) of things to say.
ReplyDeleteI do like the surreal feeling that comes with the layer. As though the spirits of the past are speaking through the photo. I've been experimenting a bit with some textures and layers, too. Sometimes, I'm amazed at the end product which I hadn't even been aware was there in the photo.
ReplyDeleteI am very touched with your post.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing it.
Tomoko
How creative, teli! You transformed a photo into a evocative painting like in a picture book. I usually don’t edit my photos but crop. I’d like my photos as natural as possible, but interestingly by just changing color temperature, the photo becomes more real.
ReplyDelete